About the Artist
I was raised by a history professor, an art teacher and influenced by grandparents in the diplomatic corps. Early gifts were dolls from many countries dressed in local costume, a Life series of books on countries of the world and stamps that sent me to the atlas to ponder countries such as Togo. I studied geology and geophysics adding the dimension of deep time to my appreciation of the world. I collect and interpret data combining new information with historic datasets to learn the story and make the maps of that particular place. Back in second grade my mother led our art class in translating our drawings into embroidered felt applique pictures. Years later I continue to make art from cloth.
Kristin’s education includes a certificate from City and Guilds Design and Embroidery, Part I, 2003, and various workshops from Nancy Crow, Elin Noble, Martha Ann Cole, Barbara Shelly and others.
Kristin shows her work locally and internationally; details are available on request.
Surface Design Association, Community Arts Council of the Saanich Peninsula, Studio Art Quilt Association
- Sooke Fine Art Show, Sooke BC 2015
- Mended, BC SDA, Italian Cultural Centre and Fibreworks, BC 2015
- Sooke Fine Art Show, Sooke BC 2014
- Sharing our Shores II, Unitarian Church, Saanich BC 2014
- Vancouver Island SDA, Nanaimo Art Gallery, 2014
- Vancouver Island SDA, “Current Threads 2013”, Metchosin Art Gallery 2013
- Sooke Fine Art Show, Sooke BC 2013
- “Threaded Lines”, Fallen Tree Gallery, North Saanich BC 2013
- Craft Assoc. BC, “10,000 Hours: Celebrating 40 years of the craft object”, Shadbolt Centre, Burnaby BC 2013
- “Small Expressions”, Tulista Art Centre, Sidney BC 2013
- Sidney Fine Arts Show, Sidney BC 2012
- Fibre Arts Network, “Waterworks”, Chapel Gallery, N. Battleford SA, 2012
- Sooke Fine Art Show, Sooke BC 2012
- “Confluence”, Tulista Art Centre, Sidney BC 2012
- Vancouver Island SDA, “Current Threads: Re-Surfacing” Co-Chair, 2012.
- Vancouver Island SDA, “Current Threads: Fibres@the Hill”, 2011
- “Together”, Invited, LaConner Quilt and Textile Museum, 2011
- Vancouver Island SDA, “Current Threads II”, Ladysmith, BC, 2011
- Fibre Arts Network, “Canadian Content”, New Zealand, 2011
- Surface Design Assoc., Minneapolis, “Merge and Flow”, Members’ Show, 2011
- Sidney Fine Arts Show, 2010
- “Fibre of Life”, Australia, 2010
- Vancouver Island SDA, “Current Threads”, Ladysmith, BC, 2010
- Fibre Arts Network, “Geophysical”, Calgary, 2010
- “Elin Noble and Other Strong Women”, curator, Penn Cove Pottery, WA, 2009
- Surface Design Assoc. (SDA), “Nothing New”, Textile Center, Minneapolis, 2009
- Handweavers’ Guild Association, “Small Expressions”, Mississippi, 2009
- “Home and Hearth”, FibreWorks, Madeira Park, 2009
- Sidney Fine Arts Show, 2008.
- Fibre Arts Network, “Canadian Expressions”, Seattle, 2008.
- “Shibori Cut Loose”, Textile Center, Minneapolis, 2008.
- “Scarves, Stoles and Shawls”, FibreWorks, Madeira Park, 2007
- Sidney Fine Arts Show, 2007.
- “Wrapped in Art”, Marie-Josette, Toronto, 2007.
- “Cutting Edge”, FibreWorks, Madeira Park, 2007.
- B.C. Surface Design Assoc., “Moving Beyond”, Vancouver, 2007.
- Surface Design Assoc., “Sum of the Parts”, Traveling Show, 2007 – 2010.
- Colour Connection, “Confluence”, Union Club of Victoria, 2007.
- Colour Connection, “Harvest”, Sidney Historical Museum, 2006.
- Fibre Arts Network, “Shape of Things to Come”, Vernon Public Art Gallery, 2006.
- Sooke Fine Arts Show, 2005, Jurors’ Choice Award for Walnut Kesa.
- Surface Design Assoc., “Constants and Variables”, Kansas City, MI, 2005.
- Colour Connection, “Gleanings”, Sidney Historical Museum, 2005.
- Sooke Fine Art Show, 2004.
- Association of Pacific Northwest Quilters, Seattle, 2004.
- Victoria Quilters’ Guild, 2004.
- Art Quilt Maps by Valerie Goodwin 2013 C+T Publishing
- 1,000 Artisan Textiles, by S. Salomony and G. Brown, 2010, Quarry Books.
- Post card for Surface Design Association, “Sum of the Parts”, Members’ Show, 2007.
- Cover of catalogue for, “Shape of Things to Come”, Vernon Public Art Gallery 2006
- Fiberart Design Volume 7, 2004, Lark Books, USA.